Did you know that blueberries are one of the most popular and nutritious berries in the world? Not only are they jam-packed with elements like Vitamin K, Vitamin C and the likes, but they also contain a high amount of water and happen to have very less calories.
But if you are sick of the same old boring way of eating blueberries, why not incorporate them into fun recipes? Here are a few ideas for you to try this season.
1. Blueberry sauce: Ingredients: 3 cup of fresh blueberries, 1 cup water, ½ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved water, 1 teaspoon vanilla
Process: First, add the cup of blueberries to a saucepan followed by the water, sugar and the vanilla. You can either use fresh vanilla or store bought vanilla extract. Now let this mixture simmer on low heat for some time, at least until the blueberries become soft and gooey. When this is done, add the cornstarch mixture while on high heat, and then let the mixture boil until you get the consistency that you want. If it gets too dense, then keep adding water slowly, spoon by spoon.
Why try this: You can serve this with ice-cream, crepes, pancakes, cakes, muffins, oats, muesli and fruit salads.
2. Blueberry French Toast: Ingredients:2 cups cream cheese, 2 spoons of flour, 2 large eggs, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 cups of blueberries, 16 slices of bread, 1 cup milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
Process: Mix the cream cheese, blueberries and maple syrup in a cup and sandwich it between two slices of breads each. Add generously. In another bowl add the eggs, skim milk, vanilla essence, flour, a pinch of salt and the remaining maple syrup and whisk until you get a thick sauce. Dip the sandwiches carefully in this sauce and then cook them in a hot girdle until they become golden brown. Remove them from the girdle and serve with fresh blueberries.
Why try this: This is very quick to make, and serves as an excellent and filling breakfast with no fuss.
3. Blueberry milkshake: Ingredients: 1 cup of blueberries, one cup of freshly sliced bananas, 1 cup of frozen yoghurt and 1 cup of milk.
Process: After you have gathered all ingredients, just whisk them in a blender until the mixture is completely smooth and free of lumps. Pour it in a glass and enjoy with ice cubes.
Why try this: This is a favorite among kids as well as adults because it is quick, inexpensive and has very few calories. Alternatively, you can use ice-cream, fresh yogurt, almond milk as well as a mixture of more kinds of berries.
4. Blueberry and Sour Cream Muffins: Ingredients: 4 large eggs, 2 cups white sugar, 2 cups of fresh blueberries, 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 2 cups of sour cream
Process: In a bowl, beat the eggs and slowly add the sugar. When done, gently pour in the vegetable oil as well as the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, add the flour with the baking soda and the salt, and mix thoroughly. Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Add the sour cream and mix very thoroughly so that there are no clumps. Then slowly fold the fresh blueberries into the mixture. After this is done, preheat the oven. Grease a few muffin cups. You can even line them with muffin papers. Slowly pour the batter and put them in the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes and then serve them.
Why try this: Blueberry muffins are easy to make, are very filling and make an excellent snack when you don’t feel like cooking. Watch your kids gobble them up with absolutely no fuss.
5. Blueberry daiquiri: Ingredients: 200 g of blueberries, five large ice cubes, 1 tablespoon of lemon or lime juice, 100ml of white rum.
Process: Wash the blueberries and put all of the ingredients in a blender. Blitz them until you get a smooth mixture. If you feel that it is too lumpy, you may consider pureeing the blueberries and then sieving it through a sieve before blitzing everything together.
Why try this: This is a perfect and easy to make cocktail for a summer party in the sun, that contains both blueberries and booze. In fact, you can add a wide range of berries to make this cocktail more interesting and colorful.
So, give it a try and leave us your thoughts!